February 7, 2012

The Joy of Trials

As much as I don't want to go through trials in this life, I'm learning more and more that these trials are for God's glory.  Ultimately, we're here to share His love with others, so who am I to complain when God gives me this trial because I know that He will somehow use it to further His Kingdom.

I recently started a new bible study with my women's bible study group at my church.  How appropriate it is that it's titled When Life is Hard: Turning Your Trials to Gold by James MacDonald.  I was really excited about started this study when I learned what it would be because life is obviously hard.  It never really feels "easy" so I was really looking forward to it.  Little did I know that I would begin a new trial just days after starting the study.  God knows what He's doing, and He knows exactly what we need long before we have any clue.  The main verse we are focusing on is James 1:2-4 - "Count it all joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  So I am learning that, I'm lacking in something (aren't we all though?), and God is trying to make me more mature.  I am trying to see past my own pain and see what God wants me to learn. That's not to say that it's not ok to feel hurt, and sad, and upset about the situation, but ultimately I know there is joy in what I'm going through because I know that God will use it for His glory.

Another song that has really been speaking to me lately is Blessings by Laura Story.  It really is a good reflection of what I feel the study is trying to share.  You can also hear her story behind writing the song by going here. (The particular website I got the video from in the previous post, their coding has it play automatically, so if you are viewing this from my main page and not a direct link then you will want to scroll down to pause the other song before listening to this one.  Sorry about that - I'm not techy enough to know how to make it not do that.)





Ps. I've downloaded pictures, and hope to start updating the days that I've missed very soon. I also hope to get Logan's 14 month post up soon too. How is it that my baby is 14 months today?! Such a big boy!

No comments: