March 19, 2010

Here and Now

Over the last year or so, the authors of some of my favorite blogs have been on trips supported by Compassion International.  If you haven't heard of them, they are a Christian organization that provides support to help children of poverty by feeding them, providing them with schooling, teaching them skills to help them out of poverty and most importantly they teach them about the love of Christ.

Each time one of the bloggers went on a trip, God tugged at my heart, and I wanted so badly to help ALL of these children.  But, I never acted on it.  I'm ashamed to even admit this, but I don't know if I didn't act because I felt like I couldn't help them all, so I didn't bother to help one, or if I was worried about the money commitment, or if I felt like if I sponsored a child then I'd have to accept the reality of the situation the kids are in, or maybe it was all of those.  I just never would actually sit down and commit to providing support for just one child.  The reality of the situation is that I am very blessed, and God didn't bless me so that I could be happy or have nice things.  God blessed me, so that I could then bless others in His name.

Recently, MckMama and her husband went on a trip with Comapassion to Kenya.  She posted pictures and stories, and with each one my heart ached more.  I knew in my heart I wanted to support a child, but I still didn't act right away.  Then, as God often does, He used a song to remind me of my purpose in life.  The song is "City on Our Knees" by Toby Mac and the very first words just really tug at my heart...

If you gotta start somewhere why not here
If you gotta start sometime why not now
If we gotta start somewhere I say here
If we gotta start sometime I say now
Through the fog there is hope in the distance
From cathedrals to third world missions
Love will fall to the earth like a crashing wave

If you want to hear the whole song, click here.  It is so true...why not here? Why not now?  This song reminds me that it's not about my timing, it's not about what I think, it's not at all about me.  This blog post isn't even about me or what I'm doing.  I'm not trying to say hey look at me because I'm doing this "great" thing.  It's about sharing the love of Christ that I'm so blessed to have.  It's about giving another child hope, and an opportunity to know Christ.  I may never in this life get to meet that child, but I'm giving them the chance to meet someone so much greater than me.  I have heard the song so many times since then and tonight, my husband and I are saying we are going to start "here" and "now".  We have decided to add this sweet little boy to our family.  Meet Ishimwe Jean Luc.
He is 9 years old, and has 5 siblings.  One of his favorite things to do is play soccer!  He also enjoys playing marbles and running.  We are so excited to have Ishimwe in our family!

I know so many of you are way ahead of us in sponsoring children, but if you have never thought about it, please take a minute and consider it.  It is something that is so simple on our part, but so life changing for the child.  MckMama posted this video to show just how life changing your sponsorship can be.  Is it worth me giving up $38 a month in the savings account, or spent on fast food, or new clothes, things for the house, or whatever other selfish thing I might spend it on, to offer a child the chance to grow up, and know Christ?  It is so worth it!  I am thankful to be in a position that I am blessed enough to be able to give in this way that God has been calling me to give (even though I'm embarrassed it did take longer for me to get here than it should have).  If you don't watch the entire 9 minutes, at least watch it starting around the 5 minute mark.  I will warn you, you most likely will need tissues nearby.



I may only be able to sponsor one child right now, but that is still something.  And, it is so much more than just something to that child.  It's a chance for a better, healthier, happier life, and the opportunity for eternal life in Christ.

No comments: