January 16, 2010

Extreme Makeover: Cleaning Edition Part II

I am on week 2 of getting rid of the CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) in my house and we were successful this weekend as well!

What have we been up to today?  Well, we have been to a meeting for the leaders of the small groups in our Sunday school class, cleaned the dining room table off, cleaned the front entry table and all of the other miscellaneous clutter in those 2 areas, and vacuumed the whole front part of the house (which is actually a huge task because you have to empty the vacuum what seems like every 5 square feet because there is so much dog hair and my vacuum is terrible.  I really wonder how they even have any left on them!).  I have to be honest, this weekend I didn't have the energy and excitement that I had last weekend so it was very hard to push through.  I always get started with lots of momentum, but towards the end when it gets down to the hard stuff that I just really don't know what to do with, I get very overwhelmed and want to quit.  Fortunately for me, I have a husband who is very supportive and helped me make it through!  It looks great!!!  I'm almost ready to have company :)  See for yourself...

 Do you see how much space we have to cover on that table?  We pretty much utilized it all.  Not any more though.  My goal is to not put things on it so it doesn't get hidden again.  I need some of that police tape to put around it so I can't go in there anymore.  Ha!



It is so much more inviting now!  Before, I would come home and immediately have to look at clutter and it would just totally depress me.  Now, no matter how exhausting my day may have been at work, I can walk into a pleasant environment.  No more "Ugh!" when I walk in :) Woohoo!!

Also, my sink is still shining which is probably a record.  Most Saturdays I would have to wake up to a dirty kitchen and I would have to spend at least an hour cleaning.  Not this weekend!  And it's not because I didn't do anything that could have dirtied it during the week.  I actually cooked real meals twice (and had enough leftovers to have them twice too), but rather than leaving the dishes, we did them that night.  I still didn't want to do the dishes, but it was definitely worth it to get them over with and not let them pile up.

I am hoping this will help me enjoy cooking again.  In college, when I lived off campus, I cooked dinner most nights for Brandon & me.  I really loved doing it, but ever since I started teaching, I don't have the time or the energy that I had in college.  It doesn't make cooking quite so appealing anymore especially since cooking always requires cleaning and that already isn't my favorite thing to do.  If there was a job that was staying at home and cooking so friends and family could come over and visit, I'd be all over that!  Ha!

In case you're wondering about my daily Bible reading...I wish I could say it's gone perfectly and I've read it each day, but it hasn't.  However, I have read all of the passages for the week.  I just did them in a couple bigger chunks.  Something is better than nothing, right??  Also, I'm not sure what version they email, but it is not the most friendly version to read with all the ye's and thou's and such, so I may just look at what chapters I'm supposed to read and then go to my NASV bible.  I think with the emailed version I'm not as likely to pay attention since the wording is so crazy.

It is hard because I want everything to be perfect right now, but I know if I tried to make it that way all at once I'd fail.  It's just too much to take on all at once.  I have to keep reminding myself that as long as I stick to my plan it will all get done.  This way I won't end up burnt out and right back in the CHAOS.

Well I think that is all for now.  My hubby and I are off to Lupe Tortilla for a much needed date after all that work (plus we have a giftcard, so that always helps)!  I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

No comments: