April 16, 2012

Simply Delicious Pork Chops

So I'm TERRIBLY behind on my post a day for Logan, but I have pics (for most days - so mad at myself for forgetting some - ugh!) and will eventually get them all up.

For now, I want to write a post about my entry in PW's grilling contest.  The winner (and a guest) get to travel to her ranch for a weekend of fun, food, and demonstrating their recipe.  I'm sooooo excited about this.  I missed entering last year, and even though I know the likelihood of me winning is so super tiny, I still can't help but hope that I get picked.  I seriously feel like meeting her (outside of a book signing - I have been to both of hers in Houston, and Logan got to go last time! So fun!) and going to her ranch are right up there on the top things I want to do - like if I was dying and got to meet some celebrity as a dying wish, it would totally be to get to cook with PW on her ranch.

If you want to enter your own recipe, go here.  However, I will say, that if you enter because of me, and you get picked, you HAVE to take me with you.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!! :)

Ok, now that that's over, here's the recipe.  And, because I love Ree (I can call her that because we're tight - see this and this - ha!), and want to be just like her ;-) here is my attempt to do a recipe like she does...

Simply Delicious Pork Chops

The cast of characters...
 Garlic powder, soy sauce, sugar, and pork chops (we prefer bone-in ones that are about 1/2 inch thick)
Doesn't get much simpler than that!!

 Add 1/4 cup of soy sauce to a bowl (or as I like to do, a glass measuring cup because it makes it easier to pour later).

 Add 1/4 cup of sugar to the soy sauce.

 and then last, but not least, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.

 Stir it up well!

Then pour it over your pork chops.  I like to do it in a ziplock bag because it's less clean up, and I feel like the marinade gets all over all of the pork chops better a if you take all the air out rather than just the bottom ones getting all the good stuff when you put it in a dish/pan. (Also, be sure to pour the marinade immediately after mixing, otherwise the sugar will settle at the bottom - oh and squish it all around in the bag to get everything good & coated).

Like I said, SIMPLE!!

I also like to reserve a little bit of the marinade to pour on my pork chops after they have cooked.  Once you've done that, place them in the fridge for at least an hour.  We prefer to make it in the morning so they marinate longer though.  Longer means more flavor, and more flavor is better in my opinion :)

Now this next part, I made a little goof.  I was busy making these, and forgot to take pictures of my handsome hubby grilling the pork chops.  So, imagine there is a picture here :)  I don't feel too bad though, even PW forgets pictures sometimes too ;-)

For these particular pork chops, you will want to grill them approximately 3-4 minutes a side (or until internal temp reaches 145 degrees according to the USDA).  If yours are thicker, add more time.

This next part, I feel is super important.  It really helps to make them nice and juicy.  Once they are done, put them on a plate/dish/whatever, and cover with foil.  Let them sit for at least 5-10 minutes.  I'm usually still finishing up getting sides, drinks, etc. ready.

Doesn't get much more delicious than that!  Yum!
Notice those juices in the bottom of the plate?  That's what happens when you let them rest.  I like to mix those juices with the marinade that I reserved and pour it over my pork chop.  Soooo delicious!!

And, be sure to serve them with your favorite Bush's Grillin' Beans ;-)  I am going to recommend the Bourbon & Brown Sugar because I think those are yummy, however, they have 7 flavors - some of which are spicy, so I haven't tried them because I'm a big sissy when it comes to spice.


PS. Ree also says she does the dishes if you win, but as much as I hate dishes, I'd totally do them for her if I win :)

PPS. Taking pictures while preparing/cooking food is hard. Not sure how Ree manages to do such an awesome job. Although I'm sure experience helps, but I think I'd get tired of having to snap photos every time I cook.

PPPS. Everyone we've made this for has loved it! Either that or our friends & family are liars - ha! :)

1 comment:

Carol said...

Those sound delicious! And Bourbon and Brown Sugar are our favorite Grillin beans. Cami eats a whole can by herself!