December 28, 2011

Decorating Help Needed!

This post is for all my friends and family who have that natural talent when it comes to decorating.  Now that I am home (which I LOVE), I am beginning to notice things around the house that I would like to change/update.  This, obviously, in the grand scheme of things is not important.  However, it is fun.

When we bought our house, we literally did nothing after we moved in, other than move our stuff and hang a few things on the walls, etc.  The only room in the house we have painted or done anything of our own to is Logan's room (which, one day, I will get around to taking pictures & posting them for you to see).

Right now, I am in need of some help with the space on top of my kitchen cabinets.  The previous owners had some silver platters decorating the tops of one of the spaces, and I really liked it, so I copied.  Here's what it looks like now (please excuse the mess - I did not clean for the pictures)...



I really like the platters up there, however, I have needed the platters a few times and it's a huge pain to get them down each time, clean them before I can use them, and then return them later.  I really want to have access to my platters, so I need to do something different up there.

The other two areas that we have cabinets, I really had no idea what to do and stuck a couple things on top, but they are desperately in need of help.

The big platter on this one is from our wedding.  We had the guests sign it and I really love it.  I want to try to continue to incorporate it somewhere, but it just doesn't really work where it is.  I just put it there because I really wanted it displayed somewhere.

One of those bottles is an Aggie wine bottle, one is from Cape Cod and is in the shape of a light house, and the other is the bottle of wine that my family had at dinner when they surprised me after Brandon proposed.  They are not necessary to keep up there, again, they are just something I had to stick there. 

Now that I'm home, we're also on one income, so I don't have much to go out and just buy whatever.  So, I'm looking for some VERY CHEAP ideas of things I could do up here.  I know there is this thing called "Pinterest" now and you're probably thinking I should just go look for ideas there, but honestly, I don't have the time, and when I have looked for stuff on there it still seems somewhat pricey.

Or, I'm not above accepting hand me downs.  I was the little sister and got hand me downs all the time growing up.  So if you have some stuff in your home that you no longer want and are tired of it taking up space/collecting dust, and you honestly feel it would look good in my kitchen, feel free to send it my way ;-)

Please feel free to leave comments with some ideas/suggestions for me.  If you have links to things, that would be helpful too.  Thanks!! :)


Ps. Please also excuse the wallpaper - that was not my choice. Like I said earlier, we did NOTHING with the house when we moved in it.  I would love to remove it and have the walls textured & painted, but I'm not about to do that myself, and we can't really pay someone right now.  So just pretend it's prettier than it is :) (besides - it could be a LOT worse)

No comments: